Thursday, May 5, 2011

Reeni's curried chickpea and cauliflower couscous


I should do this more often. And by "this" I don't mean eating wholesome, vegetarian dishes. I mean, I should do that more often as well, but what I was referring to is using other blogger's recipes. The problem is I have so many cookbooks and so many magazines I inevitably fall behind in my "recipes to try" schedule. Especially now that the weather is getting nicer and nicer I often opt to eat outdoors al local grottos (restaurants). Still, I wish I could make more new recipes because I feel that every time I find a new recipe that I like —which happens often— I have widened my horizons a little bit, which is always a good thing. 

This particular recipe was found on Reeni's blog, "Cinnamon, Spice & Everything Nice". If you have never checked it out before, I strongly suggest you do so as soon as possible. She's a terrific cook and a terrific photographer, so you'll find both beautiful pictures and awesome recipes there. 

As for my version of the dish, I tweaked it just a little, mostly because I didn't have almonds but I had a pint of cherry tomatoes I wanted to use before they went bad. The result? Delicious. I'm going to make this over and over again in the summer, since I ate the leftovers cold and it was still a great dish!

REENI'S CURRIED CHICKPEA AND CAULIFLOWER COUSCOUS
Adapted from Reeni's recipe

1 small yellow onion, diced
olive oil, for sauteing
sea or kosher salt and fresh black pepper
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 tablespoons hot curry powder
1/3 cup golden raisins, chopped
2 cups cauliflower florets, cooked
1 can (14 ounce) chickpeas, drained and rinsed
3 cups fresh spinach leaves
3-4 cups instant couscous (whole-grain)
1/3 cup green onion, diced
2 cups cherry tomatoes, halved
plain yogurt, optional

In a large skillet saute onion in olive oil over medium-low heat until tender. Season well with salt and pepper. Add garlic, saute until fragrant. If pan is dry add more olive oil and mix in curry powder. Cook for 2-3 minutes.

Add raisins, cauliflower, chickpeas and spinach. Cook over low heat stirring often until heated through and spinach is wilted, seasoning well with salt and pepper.

Meanwhile prepare 1 + 1/2 cups dry couscous according to package directions.

Fluff up cooked couscous and mix into the chickpea mixture along with the green onion and cherry tomatoes. Serve as is or with yogurt if desired.

3 comments:

  1. Reeni's recipes are fantastic, aren't they? This one looks really amazing -- I love the curry and golden raisins in it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for trying my recipe - it's one of my faves too! You made my night!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! I bet this little dish packs a lot of delicious flavor!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails