Monday, October 12, 2009

Cabbage & apples


Man, am I getting old. First I start eating cauliflower (and liking it!), then all of the sudden I'm yearning for some cook cabbage. I'm getting old -that's the only explanation. I grew up loathing both vegetables, as my mother patiently said "One day you'll grow up and like them." I couldn't believe her. I was pretty damn sure that she was wrong and that never in my life I would consider cabbage a treat.

Well, now I do. It started off innocently enough with making -and loving- cole slaw. The next natural step was trying it cooked, something that I put off as long as possible. But the idea of eating slaw for the tenth time in a row convinced me that something had to be done. It was time to tame the red monster and cook it into submission. And that's just what I did. The idea of having cabbage with apples came from an old magazine of mine, Cooking Light of course, that suggests that mixing cabbage with apple is a great way to get kids to eat it. And since I'm a big baby about my vegetables I thought it would be a great way for me to approach it as well.

CABBAGE & APPLES

1 onion, chopped
1/2 head red cabbage, thinly sliced
1 tablespoon honey
1 apple, chopped
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
Salt and pepper, to taste

Heat a little bit of oil in a large skillet.

Sautee the onion until soft, then add the cabbage, honey and 1/2 cup of water. Cover and simmer until the cabbage is crisp tender, about ten minutes. Add apple, vinegar, salt and pepper. Cover again and cook for about 5 minutes longer.

2 comments:

  1. Yum! I suppose I was a weird child, as I liked cabbage even as a kid. I do have a few vegetables I didn't like growing up, however (beets), that now I adore. I guess our tastes change! This sounds like a yummy German-inspired dish.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL, same thing happened to me...as a kid I NEVER thought I'd like cabbage! Now I love it. ;) This looks like a delicious way to use up all the apples I've got...thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails