Saturday, December 10, 2011

Things I loved about Zurich

                         
Rosti. What's not to love about a generous serving of shredded potatoes, hash brown style, mixed with raclette cheese and ham bits and topped with a fried egg? Swiss perfection on a plate.

                                   
Gothic cathedrals against the cloudy sky. I don't usually love cloudy skies, but the clouds I saw on my first day in Zurich where very picturesque and made everything look even prettier.

                         
Serious Christmas lights. This city doesn't mess around when it comes to Xmas decorations and lights, they are in every street and on every building...

                                     
 ...including super-cool toy store Franz Carl Weber, a multi story kid's (kid at heart) paradise filled with toys, puppets and games of all kinds.

                            
Oysters at Brasserie Lipp, a wonderful art deco restaurant with one of the biggest and best raw bars I've ever seen. The original Brasserie Lipp is in Paris, but this Swiss replica is as cool looking as the original and serves impeccable food as well.

                            
Christmas markets. I could have bought virtually everything there, although the prices where not exactly affordable. Still I found some cool little presents for my family and friends and vowed to go back next year for more.

                           
 Very cool looking bars. Case in point the Heineken New Bar opposite the Central train station. Neon lights and thousands of booze bottles neatly stocked on the walls.

                           
And speaking of drinks, hot mulled wine of course, or as they call it in Zurich, Glühwein. Throughout the city there are hundreds of little wood huts selling fragrant perfectly spiced mulled wine. The bartenders are dressed like elves and the wine is prepared in big witch-like cauldrons. How cool is that? I wondered what they do with the little huts in the summer. I'm guessing they use them to sell beer.

                                     
Fondue chinoise. One of my favorite dishes ever. There's something so satisfying about cooking your meet in hot steamy broth and then dipping it in one of the six sauces it's served with: curry, sweet and sour, garlic, cocktail, tartar and spicy tomato.

4 comments:

  1. You just brought me back to my semester in Bregenz. I was just over the border and two hours from Zurich - and it was decades ago. But suddenly via your blog - it was yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks like you went at the perfect time of the year with all those beautiful decorations! Thanks for sharing your beautiful pictures and delicious eats! I love armchair traveling through you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVED this post...sigh...I miss Switzerland! At least I get to visit vicariously through your travels. :) Gorgeous photos (and that food looks amazing!), and the Christmas markets sound like a lot of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bretzels... big soft pretzels, smeared with amazing butter with whatever sandwich fixing they had...

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails