Thursday, March 17, 2011

Fish Provencal

                                       

I have not fallen off the edge of the Earth like some of you have kindly asked through e-mail and Facebook. I've not been crazy busy either, unless you count stalking a certain semi-famous Italian hip hop artist "being busy". Most people would call it acting like a teenager, I guess, and I don't blame them. That's exactly what I was doing. Because sometimes it's easier and it's definitely more fun than acting all grown up. It also makes you forgot about the rut you are in, if you know what I mean. I had such great expectations for 2011 and so far it hasn't really been that great of a year. Especially when it comes to finances. Being unemployed is killing me and, unfortunately, it greatly reflect on my cooking. I don't mean to sound like a big crybaby, but as I'm typing I'm drinking instant coffee and for lunch I'm going to have a homemade cream of cannellini bean (without the shrimp the recipe calls for), because that's all I can afford right now. 

This fish Provençal is the last "luxurious" recipe I've made a few days ago, before I had to start eating out of my pantry and paring up the most incredible foods (hello canned red kidney beans and ricotta!). It's a very easy, very gratifying dinner to make, although next time I will definitely pan sear the fish before putting it together with the sauce so it gets all nice and browned. Other than that, Cooking LIght has once more nailed a great recipe.

FISH PROVENCAL
From Cooking Light
  • 1  tablespoon  olive oil
  • 2  garlic cloves, sliced
  • 2 1/2  cups  slivered onion
  • 1/2  teaspoon  salt, divided
  • 2  cups  chopped peeled plum tomato (about 4 tomatoes)
  • 1 3/4  cups  thinly sliced fennel bulb (about 1 small bulb)
  • 1  cup  dry white wine
  • 1/3  cup  chopped fresh basil
  • 1/4  cup  chopped pitted kalamata olives
  • 1  tablespoon  tomato paste
  • 1/8  teaspoon  crushed red pepper
  • 2  teaspoons  capers
  • 1  bay leaf
  • 1/2  cup  water
  • 1/8  teaspoon  black pepper
  • 6  (6-ounce) halibut or cod fillets

Preheat oven to 450F.
Heat oil in a large ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat, and add garlic. Cook 30 seconds, stirring constantly; add onion and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Cook for 2 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add tomato and next 8 ingredients (tomato through bay leaf); cook for 10 minutes. Stir in water. 
Sprinkle 1/4 teaspoon salt and black pepper over fish; place fish on top of onion mixture. Wrap handle of skillet with foil; cover and bake at 450° for 10 minutes or until fish flakes easily when tested with a fork. Discard bay leaf.  

5 comments:

  1. I'm sorry to hear about you being unemployed. I know how it feels :( I will send positive vibes your way :)

    Now onto the fish. I know my boyfriend would love this dish. He is a huge fan of fish.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anytime I hear the word "provencal" I know I am going to like it! what is not to like about fresh basil and olives and tomatoes?
    Hope your mood lifts soon;

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the encouraging words girls!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi. This is a very delicious dish. I will try this at home. Thanks for sharing.

    Van
    http://www.yoursmartkitchen.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Chiara. You may be unemployed but your guts and positiveness makes it so warm to have you around. You're awesome! Keep up and goodluck.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails