Friday, September 4, 2009

Banana nut muffins

If you live in Florida, you know the problem. Everyone -and I mean everyone- you know owns a banana tree and they all make a truckload of bananas at exactly the same time of the year. On top of that, I have the additional problem of the kind folks at the organic co-op filling my produce bags with bananas every week. As much as Tommy likes bananas, there is only so many a human being can consume each day. What to do with rest?

The good news is that bananas freeze well. You can mash them, store them in ziplock begs and shove them in the freezer until it's time to make muffins. Based on my calculations if the co-op guys keep the bananas coming I will never catch up and have a banana-free freezer. But I will always have fresh banana nut muffins laying around the house, which isn't shabby a all I guess.

BANANA NUT MUFFINS:

Makes 18 muffins

2 cups all purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
2 beaten eggs
1 1/2 cup mashed bananas
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup melted butter
1/2 cup chopped walnuts or chopped pecans

Grease bottom and sides of two muffin pans, set aside.
Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg and 1/4 teaspon of salt. Make a well in center of flour mixture, set aside.
In a medium bowl, combine eggs, bananas, sugar and butter. Add egg mixture to flour mixture. Stir just until moistened. Fold in nuts. Spoon batter into pan.
Bake in a 350 over for 20 to 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in a muffin comes out clean.

4 comments:

  1. Those muffins look yummy!
    Just an FYI...I was listening to NPR's The Splendid Table today and they had a few great banana recipe suggestions for the banana bounty. Might be worth a download on their podcast.
    Also...thanks for the little indirect co-op mention in your column! We always love new members...and purple Kohlrabi :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I had a banana tree! :) I'll have to settle for store-bought bananas to make these delicious muffins!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want a banana tree! Your muffins look yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beth,
    thanks for the suggestion. I'm literally drowning in bananas and need to learn new ways to use them. I really love being part of the co-op, it's such a great way to get produce every week.

    Faith and the ungourmet,
    banana trees are great, the only problem is that the bananas ripen all at the same time! =)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails