Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Chicken with 40 cloves of garlic

I know, the name of this recipe sounds kind of scary... and 40 cloves of garlic seem like a lot! But trust me, once the garlic is cooked it looses most of its pungent flavor and it ends up tasting... almost sweet, I would say. Anyway, I tried this recipe after seeing it in Cooking Light magazine -after changing it a bit to fit my taste. I guess that the original French recipe calls for a whole chicken, cut up in pieces, but I have finally ran out of the insane amount of whole chickens I had bought and frozen, so I used chicken breast instead. I was a little worried that the breasts would dry up, but they didn't. Actually they turned out perfect: juicy, tender and very tasty. The sauce is lovely mopped up with slices of French bread.

CHICKEN WITH 40 CLOVES OF GARLIC
Makes 4 servings

2 1/2 cups chopped onion
2 teaspoons dried tarragon
1 sprig rosemary
4 celery stalks, cut into 3 pieces
4 chicken breast halves
3/4 cup dry vermouth
Salt
Pepper
Dash of ground nutmeg
40 unpeeled garlic cloves

Combine first 4 ingredients in a 4-quart casserole. Arrange chicken over vegetables. Drizzle with vermouth; sprinkle with salt, pepper, and nutmeg. Nestle garlic around chicken. Cover casserole with aluminum foil and casserole lid. Bake at 375° for 1 1/2 hours. Garnish with fresh tarragon, if desired; serve with French bread.

2 comments:

  1. I've always been fascinated with this dish but I've never had it. I love the sweet flavor of roasted garlic, so I bet I would LOVE this dish!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Faith, you should definitely try it, it's delicious! I especially enjoy squeezing the garlic cloves out and eating them on a slice of French bread.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails