Saturday, July 17, 2010

Ratatouille pasta with shaved ricotta salata

So many recipes, so little time. Literally. Between cookbooks, cooking magazines and food blogs, mt list of must-try recipes is getting ridiculously long and one day doesn't go by without me finding yet another one. Because I'm a huge dork, I have recently started a Word file on my computer with all these recipes and where I saw them and every time I look at it, besides feeling like said huge dork, I also have a feeling that if I stopped adding recipes and started making one out of the list every day, I would probably get through it by 2012, just in time to make it before the Mayan end of the world.

Case in point, pasta with ratatouille. The seed was planted when I read about a ratatouille pasta on Emily's blog. Then, a few days later, I saw another recipe for a ratatouille pasta on a magazine. Last but not least, I saw one on the menu at one of my favorite restaurants. I knew I had to try and make it. There are several things that I like about this recipe. First of all, it's easy, fresh and tastes like summer —I guess all those ripe fragrant veggies and basil will do that to a dish. Then there is the fact that it's a classic "let's clean out the vegetable drawer recipe", not much in the sense that you can throw any vegetable in it, but when your favorite veggies are zucchini, peppers and eggplants... well then it's a perfect match for you. And third, I love making ratatouille and, if I make too much of it, I now know that I can make a delicious pasta with the leftovers. 

The addition of ricotta salata —a saltier, harder version of regular ricotta— gives a little more flavor to the dish and pairs incredibly well with fresh basil leaves.

RATATOUILLE PASTA WITH SHAVED RICOTTA SALATA

Serves 4

1 pound rotini
1 red pepper
1/2 eggplant
2 small zucchini
10 ounces canned chopped tomatoes
1/2 red onion
Basil leaves
A tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
Salt and pepper
Extra virgin olive oil
4 ounces ricotta salata, shaved

Cube all vegetables. Heat up a little olive oil in a pan, add onion, suatee until fragrant, then add the rest of the vegetables and cook, stirring occasionally, for about ten minutes.

Add chopped tomatoes, season with salt and pepper, then cook for another five minutes.

In the mean time, cook noodles according to package directions. When they al dente, drain and add noodles to pan. Mix well to combine. Season with more olive oil, if needed, then sprinkle with shaved cheese, basil leaves and thyme.

3 comments:

  1. Haha, great minds think alike, no? I loved this recipe. Definitely something I will make again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My problem is that I get stuck on a recipe for awhile...for instance, your sole with cannellini beans and tomato sauce - remember that? Really, it just hit all the right notes for us that I went out and bought a bag of dried beans and an economy pack of frozen sole....for times when I don't know what to cook but will gladly eat fish and beans. Yay!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love ratatouille pasta! This is a delicious version with ricotta salata! I bet it perks it up nicely.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails