Friday, August 21, 2009

Root vegetable medley

I haven't lost my mind. I normally don't crave root vegetable is the middle of one of Florida's hottest summers -I normally gravitate towards raw tomatoes and the likes- BUT, some of you know that I have recently joined an organic co-op and every week I receive two begs full of fruits and vegetables, some of them of the kind I wouldn't normally buy at the store. Case in point: purple kohlrabi. My grocery store doesn't even carry it, to be honest, and even if it did, I cannot say that kholrabi has the attractive look that would drive me to buy it.
The co-op, of course, gave me not one but three of this strange vegetables. That meant finding not one but three recipes to get rid of the things before they went bed. The first recipe I found was on the back of the co-op's newsletter -a medley of root vegetables by renowned chef Wolfgang Puck. I liked it enough to try it, but of course had to somehow change it and make it "mine". It turned out really good and yes, the purple kohlrabi tastes great!

ROOT VEGETABLE MEDLEY:

8 carrots, peeled and trimmed
10 baby turnips, peeled
6 baby potatoes, skin on, cut lengthwise in halves
2 onions, peeled and cut into quarters
1 purple kohlrabi, peeled and cut into thick wedges
1 celery root, cut crosswise into 1-inch-thick slices
1 whole head garlic, separated into cloves, unpeeled
3 sprigs fresh rosemary
Salt
Freshly ground black pepper
Extra-virgin olive oil

Preheat the oven to 400 F.

Put all your vegetables and the herbs in a large baking dish. Season well with salt and black pepper, drizzle generously with olive oil, and toss them to coat evenly.

Place the baking dish in the preheated oven and cook, stirring the vegetables occasionally, until they are tender and golden brown, about 45 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails