Saturday, August 22, 2009

Saturday morning egg scramble burrito


Last weekend, while camping with our good friends Jayne and Bruce, we ate a delicious breakfast burrito Jayne made to nurse us back to life on Sunday morning. After a long day and a long night of drinking it was just what we needed: nutritious, packed with protein and -at the same time- meat-less. Not that I have anything against meat, but for some reason I don't digest it too well when it's mixed with eggs. I love it, but my stomach doesn't. So I was thrilled when Jayne started working on the burritos and said that they were vegetarian burritos. Of course I tried to help her, but she wouldn't let me. She kept telling me to just sit down and sip on my beer (hair of the dog, you know?) while she chopped, diced and minced away. So I used the spare time to drink ice cold beer way before noon and -also- take pictures of the burritos in the making. Unfortunately there's no picture of the finished product -as soon as the fillings and the salsa were ready everyone devoured them so fast I had to hurry up and grab one before they were all gone.

BREAKFAST BURRITOS:

Per person:
1 large flour tortilla
2 eggs
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup chopped bell pepper
1/2 jalapeno pepper, sliced
Salt and pepper, to taste
Shredded Mexican cheese

For salsa:
1 cup tomato, chopped
2 green onions, sliced
1/4 onion, sliced
1 wedge of lime
Salt
1/2 jalapeno pepper, chopped
Minced cilantro

Extras:
Sour cream
Refried beans

Heat up a little butter in a skillet and brown onions, bell pepper and jalapenos.

While vegetables cook, put together salsa: mix all ingredients, season to taste with salt and dess with lime juice. Set aside.

When vegetables are crisp tender, add eggs to pan, season with salt and pepper and cook until desired degree of doneness. Add cheese and stir.

Warm tortillas in microwave.

Fill each tortilla with refried beans, egg mixture, top with salsa and sour cream. Roll up and enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. These look delicious and healthy and I love the idea of portable eggs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the credit and the company ~ Love, Jayne

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails