Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Fired. Canned. Sacked. In one word, unemployed.

I don't want to be a Debbie Downer and ruin everyone's day, but the announcement has to be made: I got sacked yesterday. No. Wait. That's not the right way to say it.To use their words, my position was eliminated. Because saying so makes it sooooo much better, you know? Anyways, I am now officially jobless, one more unemployed journalist out there in a world that is literally up to its neck in unemployed writers and reporters. 

Every cloud has its silver lining, though. First of all it was good to see that some people actually care about what I did and what I will do. Then there is the fact that finally I have some real free time to work on stuff that I actually give a rat's ass about —this blog for instance and my two novels that sit there unfinished. Also, I now have the possibility to get the hell out of here and spend the summer somewhere nice, like Italy perhaps. And I wasn't going to say anything because I didn't want to jinx myself but, you know, what the heck. I'm going to tell you about it. In December, when I didn't know I was going to get canned, I had applied to go to graduate school. So there. I had something else planned anyways, something far more exciting that rotting away in Naples, Fla.
And then, of course, there is the beer. Because when you are unemployed, it's ok to have beer for breakfast. Too early in the day, you say? Nah. It's my unemployment party, and I'll drink beer if I want to.

9 comments:

  1. Well, shit! That stinks! I'm very glad you are looking at it as an opportunity, though. I'll be following along, eager to hear about your adventures. *Toasting you with a beer*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Chiara,
    We have been in Naples for the past two months and I adore your newspaper columns, reviews and this blog. I am so sorry to hear that you will no longer be working at the paper. You are very good and I am certain something wonderful will come your way.

    your reviews have been great and because of them we have had some wonderful meals, including the Home Thai Sushi Bar where we had a Valentine's lunch and will return again tonight. I was impressed that you gave a bad but honest review to one Naples place a few weeks ago. Being a reviewer for a local paper that relys heavily on advertising from local eating places must be difficult and very often papers never print bad reviews. Brava to you.

    I am now addicted to your blog and have made a number of great meals from your recipes.

    Please know that you have made a difference and you will be greatly missed. I wish you well. Pat Butcher

    ReplyDelete
  3. TKW: I'm toasting you back!

    Pat: thank you so much for your comment. It literally made me teary, and I don't get teary very often. It's heartwarming to know that out there there are people, like you, who actually cared about my work. I hope you will keep reading me on this blog and, in the future, wherever life will take me. And if you ever need recommendations for local restaurants feel free to e-mail me at chicca_assi@yahoo.com
    Again, thanks for the support!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was shocked and deeply saddened to hear that your "position was eliminated," Kika. The entire community has lost something because of this. You are quite a talented writer driven by your passion for food. Please do yourself and all of us a favor and finish those books, focus on the future and keep following your passion. I think you still have an exciting career ahead of you. I'm not just saying that; I truly believe it. Stay positive and go for it. I look forward to toasting your future successes. Ciao.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Come to Isles of Capri.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3R2WseJrrU&feature=channel

    got beer, see the pitcher ?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ugh. The NDN dropped the ball and eliminated another of their few remaining quality writers and critics, not just a generic "position."

    Your food reviews have been a refreshing breath of insight and honest, informed journalism. I'll continue to ask your advice on spots-there's some new restaurants in the area you or I have yet to try before you fly...

    FWIW, I've had a few jobs before I found my "dream job." May you find your "dream spot" too.

    It's always the right time to have a beer at home, or on the beach, or at sea or practically anywhere... as long as it's a good beer!

    You will be missed, and your column too, at least every Friday. Let's stay in touch.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ivan, thanks for the kind words. I'll keep you posted on what's going on and we'll definitely have to get together before I take off! Let's keep in touch.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good luck in all the adventures you will be able to have now (Italy, grad school, etc.) There will always be new possibilities now that you're free (I like to say free rather than unemployed :P). I hope you keep us updated on your novels.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am so sorry! I am way, way, WAY behind in visiting blogs. Obviously, I missed this announcement. I'm so sorry, yet I have an attitude from that old cliche' of-- when one door closes....well, you know the rest. I work for a school district and I'm keeping it real. I could get sacked, too. If that does, I'll go back to school. Wishing you all the best. You're a fighter, I can tell.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails