Thursday, September 17, 2009

Cauliflower fritters


Last night I had an epiphany. I actually like cauliflower.
I spent most of my life telling everyone I didn't like it nor eat it , but once again the guys at the organic co-op forced me to reconsider by dropping a big head of cauliflower in my weekly produce bags. At first I thought about giving it away, but let's be honest: how likely is that? I mean, if I were trying to give away freshly picked strawberries it would be easy, but cauliflower?
Then I was sitting at the office the other day and a coworker offered me her homemade cauliflower fritters. They were good. Very good.
So I decided to keep my cauliflower after all and make my version of fritters with it. Even though I call them fritters they aren't fried. I made them on the griddle with cooking spray to make them lighter -we were already having a monster porterhouse steak as a main dish and really didn't need the extra calories. They turned out great. So again, thanks co-op guys. Keep the veggies coming.

CAULIFLOWER FRITTERS
Makes 12 fritters:

1 cauliflower
2 eggs
Salt and pepper
1 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 cup panko (or regular) breadcrumbs
Cooking spray or oil for cooking

Trim and chop the cauliflower. Steam it for about 15 minutes or until tender. Let it cool down. Chop finely.

In a medium bowl mixed chopped cauliflower eggs, cheese and breadcrumbs. Season with salt and pepper. Add flour a little bit at the time and keep mixing until the mixture is dry enough that you can form patties with it.

Heat oil in a pan or turn a griddle on high and spray with cooking spray. Cook patties in batches, about 4 minutes per side or until golden.

4 comments:

  1. I always wanted to make fritters but they looked too greasy when deep fried. Your recipe makes sense for the alternative. Plus, I never like deep frying then having a huge pot of oil leftover, debating whether to re-use it or not.
    But I love cauliflower. Nice post :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will definitely be making this. I really like cauliflower, but it can be a little bland on its own...this recipe is the perfect way to dress it up. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such an original and great way to enjoy cauliflower :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Candy,
    I feel the same way about the pot of oil leftover from frying. According to my boyfriend oil never goes bad, but I think it's pretty gross!

    Faith,
    if you like cauliflower you'll love these. I mean, I don't even like cauliflower but loved the little fritters.

    Karine,
    thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails