Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Stuffed zucchini: aka Labor Day laziness



So yes, I have been incredibly lazy lately and haven't posted much on this blog -but I have some (kinda) good excuses.
The first one is that yesterday was Labor Day and I've spent all weekend drinking beer and stuffing my face with all kinds of food... and I was too lazy to document all of it with pictures and blog posts.
The second reason is that my friend Filippo -whom I've known since elementary school- is currently in town and staying with us, so I spend as little time as possible in front of the computer and as much as possible hanging out with him.
Sunday Tommy, Filippo and I took the boat to white trash beach (sounds... trashy, but it's actually very pretty) and we spent the afternoon grilling, drinking, swimming and eating. And because Filippo pushed me to accept his Iron Chef-like challenge to use up all the stuff I have in the fridge, freezer and pantry BEFORE I go buy more stuff from the store... I found myself making up this recipe for stuffed zucchini. It turned out delicious and I used leftover couscous, some Laughing Cow cheese and the truckload of zucchini I had in the fridge all in one day. Take that, Iron Chef challenge!

STUFFED ZUCCHINI BOATS:
Makes 6 "boats":

3 large zucchini
6 wedges Laughing Cow garlic and herb light cheese
2 cups prepared couscous (I used what I had leftover from my previous post)
Cooking spray

Preheat grill or oven on medium high heat.

Cut zucchini in half length-wise and hollow them with a tea spoon. Discard seeds and pulp.

Spread one cheese wedge on each zucchini half. Spoon couscous over cheese in each zucchini half. Spray preheated grill with cooking spray or spray cookie sheet with cooking spray and place zucchini on grill rack or in the oven. Cook for about ten minutes, until heated through.

2 comments:

  1. Happy belated Labor Day! (It sounds like you had a fabulous day!) This looks really delicious...sometimes the best recipes are created when you just want to use up whatever is in the fridge! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did have a wonderful day... I love picnics at the beach! And my "use up all the stuff you have in the fridge" challenge continues, so stay tuned for more! =)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails