Friday, January 22, 2010

Gingerbread muffins


Is it finally Friday? I don't know about you, but this week -instead of feeling shorter because of the holiday- felt longer. It must have something to do with the fact that the wait is killing me already. Wait for what, you might ask? I'm not going to say it because I'm superstitious like that. Let's just say that is something really important, something that I've been dreaming of for a while and something that, unfortunately, doesn't depend on me in the slightest way. All that I could do, "my part", is done. And now I have to wait until the end of March to receive an answer. I know, right? If I'm already going crazy on January 22, can you imagine what my state will be on, say, March 15? Ugh. Better not think about it.

But I digress. Since it's Friday, it means that I'm publishing a recipe I've learned from another great food blog: The Ungourmet. A while ago, Kim posted a wonderful recipe to make gingerbread loaves with icing and, since I didn't have mini pans and I don't much care for icing, I thought: Why not make it into muffins? It was quite the good idea, even if I say so myself. They turned out packed with gingery spiceness, the perfect match to my morning coffee. Even Tommy, who usually only praises banana nut muffins said that these were a great alternative. And thank God for that, because it's freaking banana season here in Florida and, to be honest, if I eat another banana I'll have a meltdown.

GINGERBREAD MUFFINS
(Adapted from The Ungourmet)
Makes 12 muffins

1 1/2 cups flour
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup raisins
1/3 cup dried cranberries
1/3 cup chopped almonds
1/2 cup softened butter
1/2 cup molasses
1/2 cup water
1 1/2 tsp fresh minced ginger
1 egg

In a bowl combine the flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda, salt, raisins, cranberries and almonds.

Place butter in a large bowl and using an electric mixer, beat until creamy. Add the molasses, water, ginger, and egg. Mix to combine. Add the flour mixture and beat until well combined.

Divide evenly into a muffin pan. Placepan into a 350 degree oven for about 20 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.

2 comments:

  1. I love the Ungourmet! And I've been wanting to make these ever since I saw them on her site, and now I'm craving them again! YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kim is so sweet, and all her recipes are fantastic! I love gingerbread and this looks like a killer recipe!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails