Friday, January 8, 2010

Homemade granola


For work reasons (i.e. we received a memo warmly inviting us to do so) I had to open a Twitter account and, against my nature and better judgment, I tweeted (or tweetered?) all summer and did my best to become a good little tweeter. Well, besides the fact that I failed miserably, I also discovered several things about Twitter that annoyed me beyond belief. One of them was Follow Fridays. For those of you who are lucky enough not to know what Follow Fridays are, they are this day-long torture where people you follow announce to everyone who they follow, so every other post looks like this:
FF#@sweetiepie, @bigdude, @kingofthemorons, @franny_loves_joey... and so on. Like, you know, someone cares. I have nothing against publicizing or letting people know about a good product, or book, or blog, but what's the point in publicizing something without saying what the hell it is?

So here's the thing, I decided to do something slightly more useful and tell you about a great recipe I've found on a great blog -in case you don't read it already you should start doing so now.

HOMAMADE GRANOLA

Adapted from The Kitchen Witch
(who adapted it from Bon Appetit)

4 cups toasted whole grain cereal
3 cups old fashioned oats
1 cup coarsely chopped pecans
1 cup sliced almonds
3/4 cup hazelnuts
1 cup honey
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 1/2 cup mixed dried fruit (I used raisins, golden raisins, cranberries, pineapple, apples and cherries)
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon

Preheat oven to 275.

Mix cereal, oats, nuts, almonds and hazelnuts in large bowl.

Bring honey and oil just to boil in a small saucepan; drizzle over cereal mixture and toss to coat.

Spread mixture onto a large rimmed baking sheet. Bake until golden brown and dry, stirring every 15 minutes, about 1 hour 30 minutes. Scatter dried fruit over. Sprinkle cinnamon over and toss to incorporate evenly. Cool granola completely in pan on rack, stirring occasionally to prevent clumping.

Can be made 2 weeks ahead. Store airtight at room temperature.

5 comments:

  1. Grinning from ear to ear right now. I have to tell you, I LOATHE Twitter. It's just not for me. I find it just as annoying as you do.

    Thanks for thinking of me, and I like your strategy! Look forward to learning about some great new people from you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad to hear that I'm not alone in this I-hate-Twitter thing, Witch!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love homemade granola since it's completely customizeable! I love all the nuts in yours!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have twitter but I never remember to tweet. I have nothing to say that would be of interest to anyone. I just can't seem to get into it. I understand that it would be helpful if you wanted to spread the word about something important. I didn't know about this Friday thing but I have noticed a tweet like this.

    I love granola! Great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What annoys me the most about Twitter is that everyone is just trying to convince all the others to click on their link, either to see a product or to sell themselves as writers. It just a big, neverending commercial break.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails