Sunday, January 24, 2010

Spicy pork chili




So here's the thing: I couldn't care less about football or Superbowl. I'll be brutally honest with you: I find the game too long and not packed enough with action to hold my interest and, until yesterday, I was convinced -hopeful, really- that Superbowl Sunday was today. I say hopeful because after Superbowl is over there is a few months  of peace and quiet when I don't have to listen to football talk. Not that anyone would directly talk to me about football, but you know, they talk loud enough for me to hear. And if they are not talking they are updating their Facebook status with all-caps nonsense about the Colts or whoever else could make it to Superbowl.

One thing I like about Superbowl is the chili-eating aspect of it because chili happens to be one of my favorite dishes. Besides the fact that I love soupy meals, I like the fact that everyone makes chili in a different way and, at least when it comes to food, I will never get bored at a Superbowl party. I have three or four favorite chili recipes so far -this particular one is the latest addition. It's from -yet again- the Jan./Feb. issue of Cooking Light and it's made with pork instead of beef. I had to change the recipe a little bit, mostly because I forgot to buy some of the ingredients, but it turned out amazing: the ham hock gives it a wonderfully smoky flavor and the Mexican hot sauce delivers a nice kick.


SPICY PORK CHILI

Cooking spray
2  pounds  ground pork
3  cups  chopped onion
1  chopped green bell pepper
3  garlic cloves, minced
3  tablespoons  tomato paste
1  cup beer
Salt
3  tablespoons  chili powder
1  tablespoon  ground cumin
2  teaspoons  dried oregano
3/4  teaspoon  freshly ground black pepper
6  tomatillos, quartered
2  bay leaves
2  (14 1/2-ounce) cans plum tomatoes, undrained and chopped
1  (15-ounce) can red kidney beans, drained
1  (7 3/4-ounce) can Mexican hot-style tomato sauce
1  smoked ham hock (about 8 ounces)


Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add ground pork to pan, season with salt and pepper to taste; cook 5 minutes or until browned, stirring to slightly crumble. Drain well. Transfer pork to an electric slow cooker.

Recoat pan with cooking spray. Add onion and bell pepper; sauté 8 minutes, stirring frequently. Add garlic; sauté 1 minute. Add tomato paste; cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Stir in beer; cook 1 minute. Transfer onion mixture to slow cooker. Add salt, chili powder, and next 9 ingredients (through ham hock) to slow cooker. Cover and cook on HIGH 5 hours. Remove bay leaves and ham hock; discard.

Serve with fresh cilantro, chopped green onions, or sour cream if desired.



4 comments:

  1. Oh wow, this sounds absolutely delicious! I will add this to the list of things of yours I want to try! Do you mind if when I try one of your recipes and I like it, I add it to my blog as well? =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chili eating IS the best part of the Super Bowl, isn't it? Closely followed by guacamole eating :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll admit, I'm not a Superbowl/football fan either...that being said, I am a huge chili fan and yours looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails