Thursday, November 17, 2011

Grilled vegetables mock lasagna

One thing I miss about summer the most once fall sets in is eating flavorful fresh vegetables. Fall veggies are fine, but they are definitely not the same, not just because of their color, but also because of their flavor. Let's face it: parsnips are ok, but they are no fresh baby zucchini.
Still, I have promised myself that I wouldn't buy out of season vegetables that come form the other side of the world this year, that I would make more sustainable choices in the months ahead. And, to be honest, summer veggies don't taste that good when you eat them in the fall, they just aren't the same.
Unless you grill them, of course.
See where I'm going here?
I bought a last batch of summer veggies -zucchini, bell peppers, tomatoes, eggplant- grilled them and used them to make this mock lasagna. Again, I call it "mock" because it's not made with lasagna noodles, but with pane carasau, a Sardinian flatbread.
 
This isn't really a recipe. I just grilled the vegetables, chopped them and alternated layers of flat bread, layers of veggies and sprinkled them with shredded mozzarella. Then I baked it at 350°F for ten minutes and... voilà. Dinner is served!
 That's all floks. I won't be around for a few days, I'm going to Prague tomorrow... so have a great weekend everyone, and see you on Monday!


5 comments:

  1. Have fun in Prague and come back with lots of photos!!!! Totally agree on the not eating vegs that are out of season. Takes a little extra planning in the kitchen (I have 3 types of cabbage in my fridge now) but I feel better eating with a clear conscience!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a fun and delicious looking recipe! Love all of those veggies...yum!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks delicious! I would love if you shared this in my vegetable recipes Blog Hop. http://bit.ly/sg4tTf

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're idea of using flatbread instead of lasagna noodles is nothing short of genius! Have a great time!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails