Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Skillet cornbread


Here I am, on Thanksgiving Eve (does that even exist?), trying to make stuff ahead so I don't lose my mind tomorrow like I did in 2008, break my knee like I did in 2009 or end up with food even in my hair like I did in 2010. You live, you learn, they say. We'll see. 

As of now, it's 11 am on Wednesday and I've already baked cornbread for my gluten-free stuffing. That's all folks. It's not like I'm crazy ahead, but in the next few hours I'm going to crank out some serious food... at least the appetizers, the stuffing and the cranberry sauce.

I'll keep you all posted. Hope you are having a great almost-holiday weekend =)

A funny note: buttermilk doesn't exist in Switzerland. Or if it does they hide it so well I couldn't find. So my day started by having to make buttermilk, which is not complicated, you just mix a scant cup of milk with a tablespoon of lemon juice... but it kind of makes you think about the challenges ahead.

SKILLET CORNBREAD

  • 3 teaspoons vegetable oil 
  • 2 cups buttermilk 
  • large egg 
  • 1 3/4 cups yellow cornmeal
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder 
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda 
  • 1 teaspoon salt 

  • Coat bottom and sides of a 10-inch cast-iron skillet with bacon drippings; heat in a 450° oven for 10 minutes.
  • Whisk together buttermilk and egg. Add cornmeal, stirring well.
  • Stir in baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Pour batter into hot skillet.
  • Bake at 450° for 15 minutes.

1 comment:

  1. I'm going to be starting to make a few dishes today to prepare for tomorrow also -- fingers crossed for smooth sailing tomorrow! :) This cornbread looks fantastic -- great addition to Thanksgiving dinner. Wishing you a very happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails