Friday, July 31, 2009

Gaia's "cobbler pie"


If you are wondering who Gaia is, she's my little niece and this pie is named after her because I made it for the first time 4 years ago today, when she turned 1. Although this year we'll have to celebrate her birthday with a few days of delay, I thought it would be appropriate to post the recipe for this cobbler today, the day she turns 5.
I call it a cobbler "pie" because unlike cobblers it has a crust both on the bottom and on top, something I made up because the first time I made waaaaaay to much Graham cracker mixture. But everyone loved it, so from then on my cobbler always had a bottom crust as well as a crumble topping. I make it with strawberries, but bluberries or a mix of berries work just as well.

GAIA'S COBBLER PIE:

3 1/3 cups graham cracker crumbs
4 tablespoons sugar
12 tablespoons butter
2 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon

5 cups chopped strawberries
1 cup sugar
Cornstarch
2 tablespoons lemon juice

Melt butter in a small pan, then mix with crumbs, sugar ad cinnamon. Divide in half. Pat half of the mixture on bottom of a 9-inch pie tin.

In a large pot cook strawberries, sugar and lemon juice for about ten minutes. Add enough cornstarch to thicken slightly. Pour into pie tin. Cover with remaining crumb mixture.

Bake at 375F until crumbs look browned and "done", about 25 minutes.

3 comments:

  1. Happy birthday to your niece! This sounds really delicious, and I love that this cobbler pie has a top and bottom crust...very unique twist!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh WOW, this looks extremely good and appetizing. Thanks a bunch for sharing this recipe with us and will most definitely try to give this a try for myself. Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post, most of us don't think of leftovers, you did wonderful job here by sharing this blog. Thank you for posting it, going to show this to others as well

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails