Thursday, July 30, 2009

Steak tartare

Yes, I do enjoy eating raw meat. I love carpaccio and I love steak tartare. Of course the meat has to be of the finest quality and it definitely pays off to spend the extra bucks and buy top quality ground sirloin for this recipe. Steak tartare has always been a treat in my family and although I have eaten good renditions at several restaurants in Europe, my dad's recipe remains the best. Last night we were celebrating the fast that -by coincidence- we both received our bachelor's degrees on July 29th. He got his in Engeneering in 1960. I got mine in Communications in 2005. And what better way to celebrate than with this lavish, decadent meat recipe?

STEAK TARTARE

1 pound ground sirloin
1/2 lemon
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 onion, minced
1 big tablespoon of capers, chopped
1/2 tablespoon of capers, whole
Worchestershire sauce
Tabasco
Salt and pepper
2 egg yolks
1 tablespoon hot mustard
1 shot of Brandy
Chopped parsley, to garnish

Steak tartare turns out better if ou keep the meat cold. To do so, use two concentric metal bowls of different sizes. Place water and ice in the bigger one and carefully lower the smaller one into it so that the water and ice will keep it cold while you work on the tartare.


Place egg yolks in the small bowl, season with salt and pepper and slowly incorporate mustard, lemon juice and olive oil stirring constantly:


Add Worchestershire sauce, tabasco, onion and capers to the egg mixture.

Add ground beef, season it with freshly ground pepper and mix well, using two spoons.
Add Brandy, taste to make sure seasoning is to your liking and serve immediately. If you want to go all out and have a truly decadent dinner serve with a side of french fries as they do in Switzerland. Delicious!

3 comments:

  1. What a nice way to celebrate! I love the addition of capers in this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I looooove capers. I literally add them to everything.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The idea of consuming raw meat makes me feel incredibly uncomfortable be it tartar or sushi, I have never tried it and honestly don’t plan to in future either.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails