Thursday, July 23, 2009

Savory zucchini pie

I love savory pies. Love, love, love, love, love them. Not only they are easy to make, they are also a great way to use the overabundance of vegetables that populate my fridge after one too many trips to the farmers market and they are healthy and light. What's not to love about them?
When I was little, my grandma Mina used to make an amazing savory pie with spinach, ham and boiled eggs, and so did my mom. As much as I enjoy that particular recipe, I find myself gravitating towards simpler, fresher variations in the summer and -most of all- I find myself making my savory pie with my all-time favorite vegetables: zucchini.
If ou are so inclined, you can make your own pie dough. I'm lazy and I like to use the pre-made, unroll and use kind of dough that you can find in the refrigerated section at the grocery store.

SAVORY ZUCCHINI PIE

1 refrigerated pie crust (such as Pillsbury)
2 medium zucchini, sliced
2 scallions, sliced
1 cup of ricotta cheese
2 eggs
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
Salt and pepper
Paprika

Preheat oven to 400F.

Unroll pie crust on a square of parchment paper and place in a round, 9 inch pyrex.

In a bowl, mix the ricotta, eggs and 1/4 cup of Parmesan cheese. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Fold in sliced scallions and set aside.

Place half of the zucchini slices in the pie crust, sprinkle with salt and paprika. Pour ricotta mixture over zucchini. Place other half of zucchini slices on top of ricotta mixture, season with salt, paprika and 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese. Fold excess dough towards the center of the pie.

Cook at 400F for 25 minutes or until crust is golden and cheese is slightly bubbly. Let stand 5 minutes before slicing. Good served warm or cold.

4 comments:

  1. I love this pie too. What about the leeks pie served with prosciutto crudo......

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds delicious! I think I'll make this over the weekend! Thanks for the recipe inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're welcome. I'm going to make more savory pies these coming weeks, so stay tuned!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this.! I switched it up a bit (and thanks to all of the people who gave me all of the great ideas!).

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails