Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Pasta with fish sauce

Since my boyfriend complains left and right that I never make pasta anymore (he's on a diet, so I don't make it as often because... well it's hard to eat pasta when you are on a diet!), last night I decided to surprise him and I made one of his favorite pasta recipes. My dad has been making this recipe forever, but it wasn't until I discovered how cheap and readily available tilapia is that I really got into it. It's also really quick to make, which makes it a perfect summer dish. I call for Barilla pasta and Pomi crushed tomatoes because I feel this is one of those recipes that turn out great only if you use the best ingredients. Also, I love capers and tend to use more of them than theavarage person... feel free to adjust the capers to your personal liking!

PASTA WITH FISH SAUCE

3/4 pound of Barilla spaghetti or spaghetti rigati
1 26-ounce carton of Pomi crushed tomatoes
1 small onion, chopped
3 medium tilapia fillets
Salt and pepper
Red pepper flakes
1/2 cup capers
1/2 cup sliced green olives
Extra virgin olive oil
Coarse sea salt

Bring water to a boil in a dutch oven and add a handful (if you have small hands) of coarse sea salt.

While you wait for the water to boil, swirl olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add chopped onion. Season tilapia with salt and pepper to taste and add to skillet. Cook onion and fish for a couple of minutes, then add crushed tomatoes, capers and olives. Season with salt and red pepper flakes to taste and continue cooking until fish is cooked through and falls apart.

Cook spaghetti al dente, drain and add to the skillet. Mix spaghetti and sauce well, serve immediately.

1 comment:

  1. I'm always looking for new recipes to use fish, this looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails