Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Lobster and avocado ceviche



As I said, I had all these avocados laying around the house so I decided to put them to good use during the weekend. And since it was so stinking hot, why not make a no-cook lunch? That's where the ceviche idea came from. Although the citric acid in the lime juice technically "cooks" whatever seafood you're using, it cooks it without raising the temperature in the kitchen. That's only one of the many reasons I love ceviche.
I don't remember when was the first time I had it, but I remember the first time I had great, authentic Peruvian ceviche and fell in love with it. I was at a small restaurant called Machu Picchu -not very original, but the food was amazing- and I asked the owner for the recipe. Turns out, ceviche is really easy to make and very satisfying to eat.

LOBSTER AND AVOCADO CEVICHE
(Serves 2)

1 Haas avocado
1 cup canned green beans, drained
1 small red onion, sliced
10 limes
12 oz. raw lobster meat (about two Florida lobster tails)
1 tablespoon red pepper flakes
Salt and pepper, to taste
1 lemon
3 tablespoons EVOO
3 garlic cloves, minced

Chop lobster in bite sized chuncks and place in one layer in a pyrex. Season with salt, pepper and red pepper flakes. Add onion. Squeeze limes over the lobster (a citrus squeezer really comes in handy when making ceviche) so that the meat is swimming in juice. Cover and chill in the fridge for about a half hour.

Slice the avocado and immediately add it to the lobster concoction (the lime juice will prevent it from turning black), toss gently to mix. Add green beans.

In a small bowl whisk the olive oil, garlic and juice of half lemon and use to dress the ceviche. Serve immediately and enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. The combination of buttery avocado and lobster sounds perfect! And I love no-cook meals1

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love them too. It's really hot here in FL and sometimes the a/c has a hard time keeping the house cool if I cook with the oven and stove too much...

    ReplyDelete
  3. You had me at lobster and avocado...2 of my very favorite things...

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails